Lakyn Jarman, APSU Senior, Public Relations
Finding the perfect place to hold your event can be difficult. It can be easy to get caught up in the beauty of a venue. However, it is important to create your own checklist of things you are looking for in order to stay on the right track. You need to also keep in mind that you may have to book your venue far in advance.
Here are some items to keep in mind:
Scheduling and Accommodations:
* Is the venue available for your proposed date?
* Are there any other events happening that day?
* Will it be able to accommodate your number of guests?
* Will you be able to hold your ceremony and reception here?
* How long will you have the venue space? Is there an overtime fee if you stay longer?
* Is it handicap accessible?
* What is the parking availability? (Will you be charged extra for this?)
* Are there any other rental options available? (i.e. canopy, arch, cake table, or any other decorations)
* What comes with the venue fee? (i.e. chairs, tables, changing rooms, linens, plates and utensils)
* How much is the deposit? Will it go towards the final balance?
* What is the cancelation policy?
* Can you create a back up plan for inclement weather?
* Will someone be responsible for setting up and tearing down?
* Does the venue require insurance?
* Will there be a provided coordinator?
* When are the vendors allowed to setup?
* What are the decoration limitations? (i.e. confetti, rice, or glitter)
* Are open flames permitted?
* Does the venue have sound equipment? Is this an extra fee?
Food and Beverage:
* Does the venue require in house catering or from a preferred vendor list?
* Can you bring in a cake from an outside bakery? It there a cake cutting fee?
* Is the venue licensed to provide alcohol services? Do you have purchase the alcohol through the venue?
All venues will have pros and cons. Remember you may have to put in a lot of work to make some venue dreams a reality while others need no work at all. Having this list on hand will help you to be able to answer the hundreds of questions you will have when searching for the right venue.